Wednesday, January 24, 2018

8 Biscuits

Biscuits
A member family here in the Statesboro ward likes to have to missionaries over for lunch every Sunday or so. We're served buttermilk biscuits with white sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, and potatoes. They have many stories of missionaries who have eaten 4 or 5 biscuits and fallen asleep on their couch. Food coma, they call it.

The missionary who holds the record for number of biscuits eaten in one sitting (without breaks) was a 6-foot-something elder who, at the time, weighed... a lot. He held the record at 7 biscuits.

Well, the record was held by him. That is...

Until I broke it.

And had 8.

And then one of the members, Tommy, who is divorced, said, "Why can't you be 20 years older?"

The funny part is that I didn't actually hear him say it at first. I said, "Wait, what?" (Obviously, I was entering the "food coma" stage of this endeavor.) Everyone at the table made a face and reaction that read, "I can't believe you just said that," and his daughter's face turned bright red. As soon as Tommy realized what he'd said and that I didn't catch it, he said, "UMM, NEVERMIND." I looked around, confused, and asked again what he had said, to which the whole table responded, "Nope, you don't need to know! Moving on!" I didn't find out what he said until that night, when my wonderful companion informed me.

I may have freaked out a little bit. All in jest.

............

A 40-year-old man flirted with me.

............

What is life??

The Work
Stephanie. And Punkin. Oh, and Gavin and Ashley.

Let's just say the Lord is blessing us. A lot.

Stephanie. She is an amazing young lady whose boyfriend is a member in Statesboro. She goes to Georgia Southern and loves meeting with us. She keeps her commitments and loves to learn. She's not ready to talk about baptism yet, so pray that she'll get there!

Punkin (yes, P-U-N-K-I-N) is a friend of a member, Heather, who referred her to us. We Christmas caroled to her on Christmas Eve and have been slowly warming up with her. She has been "leaning away" from her church for a while and is thinking about another church. Hopefully we can help her see the light of the gospel!

Gavin and Ashley are super friendly. They're the gators that Sister Pitchford found with Sister Boyer on exchanges two weeks ago. I was finally able to meet Gavin last night (Ashley was busy) and they still want us to come back! Sometimes people say to come back and then are iffy about it. But no. He thinks we're awesome and he wants us to come over when Ashley's home. Ashley likes us and what we do too, so lots of prayers are headed their direction!

I loooooooove the gospel. Y'all have no idea! It has changed my life, and I hope it will change all of yours. The only way to let it change you is to act in faith. That means you need to trust in God and DO something to follow Him.

Act. Change. Believe.

Sister McKay









No comments:

Post a Comment