Thursday, June 14, 2018

I Don't Like Oatmeal

Over the course of the past two weeks, Sister Morrill and I have discovered that we are complete opposites. When we compared using the Myers-briggs 16 personality types system, we noted that I am an INTJ (or close to it) and Sister Morrill is an ESFP, which are essentially polar opposites.

For instance, this morning Sister Morrill was making breakfast.

S. McKay: Whatcha makin'? 

S. Morrill: Oatmeal. Do you like oatmeal?

S. McKay: Nope.

S. Morrill (almost before I finish saying it): That doesn't surprise me.

What I don't like, Sister Morrill eats for me. What Sister Morrill doesn't like, I eat for her.

We're opposite in this and many other aspects. What I don't sense emotionally, Sister Morrill points out. What she doesn't understand logically, I explain. I love doing the dishes; Sister Morrill puts them away. I don't love vacuuming; Sister Morrill does it! My favorite thing is NOT to talk to people on their porch; Sister Morrill will talk to anyone, and we go forward together.

We support and balance each other in our differences. In district meeting yesterday, we talked about spiritual gifts and how we all have different ones so we can share our talents, strengths, and abilities for the benefit of others. Our district leader (shout-out to Elder McKinnon!) shared this scripture:

"And again, it is given by the Holy Ghost to some to know the diversities of operations, whether they be of God, that the manifestations of the Spirit may be given to every man to profit withal." -Doctrine and Covenants 46:16

We collectively have a "diversity of operations," or different spiritual gifts, so that we can all profit or benefit from each other's unique attributes, abilities, and strengths and create one big, balanced world. God designed it this way on purpose. We wouldn't want a bunch of Sister McKays running around! That would frankly be boring (and I think I might go crazy).

I'm so grateful for Sister Morrill and for everything I've learned from her and with her so far. We make a great team. I know we're meant to be companions. We're daughters of God. We're here to work together to build God's kingdom and use our unique gifts to bless people's lives.

I know that everyone on earth is a child of God. We are all given different spiritual gifts so we can uplift and strengthen one another, and every person is important and essential in God's plan.

What spiritual gifts do you have, and how can you use them to bless someone's life?

Sister McKay

P.S. You thought this was going to be about me upchucking oatmeal, didn't you? ;)

PICS:

1. We made a video. I'm not in it because I filmed it, but this is the picture I took of our hilarious district! If you would like to see the video find someone with Facebook and look up my profile! We've been laughing since we filmed it yesterday, and I know you'll like it! It's Spanish for, "We have a friend who loves us, and His name is Jesus!"

2. There are two elders in my district who go home with me. This is them telling me that their flight itineraries came and to hurry up and find mine!

3. My flight itinerary came in the mail! *distant screaming*

4. Laurel Bay is a military base in the Beaufort area. It's always fun to go on base!

5. Elder Smith, Sister Morrill, and I got to go fishing with the district! We saw dolphins that day!

6. A member's little boy found this snail and showed it to us before dinner. The animals and bugs around here never cease to amaze me. They are so different from Utah!

7. We had to follow this thing in the downtown area for like 5 minutes straight! But it was kinda cool.

8. There was a trailer hitch in the middle of an intersection. We were stopped at the front of the line at this intersection. Sister Morrill said, "Should I go run out and grab that trailer hitch?" I said, "DO IT!" So she threw off her seat belt, jumped out of the car, and ran into the middle of the intersection. She picked up the trailer hitch as the light turned green and someone yelled at her. She ran it over to the sidewalk (we have real sidewalks in some places here!) and then booked it back to the car. We were not able to survey the damage done to her dress until we got to the church. Mosiah 2:17 says, "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."










No comments:

Post a Comment